5622 Central Avenue , St. Petersburg, Florida 33707 7275711333 contact@jlgtampabay.com

Am I Liable for My Personal Injury Accident? - Jones Law Group

  • Home
  • Am I Liable for My Personal Injury Accident?
Two women use their phones to take pictures of where their cars collided head on

Am I Liable for My Personal Injury Accident?


  • The aftermath of an accident can cause confusion, leaving those involved unsure whether they’re liable for the personal injury accident.
  • Florida’s comparative negligence system assigns fault and reduces compensation based on each party’s percentage of fault.
  • An experienced personal injury attorney can conduct a detailed investigation to gather the evidence to show you weren’t to blame.

If you were recently involved in a personal injury accident, you might be wondering if you’re wholly or partially responsible. The aftermath of a car wreck, slip and fall, or any other accident can be confusing. You might not be sure if you played a role in causing the accident.

This question is crucial in determining your legal responsibility and the potential consequences you may face. You can be sure the other person involved in the accident will get a lawyer to blame you. You’ll need a personal injury attorney who will use the facts and help you get the money you deserve for your suffering.

An accident injury attorney with the Jones Law Group can be your ally. Our team will work tirelessly to help you obtain maximum compensation. Schedule a free consultation by calling (727) 571-1333 or contacting us online.

The Role of Comparative Negligence in Personal Injury Lawsuits

Like in many other states, the legal principle of comparative negligence governs personal injury cases in Florida. Understanding this concept is essential in assessing your liability and potential compensation.

Comparative negligence, or comparative fault, is a legal doctrine used to assign fault and apportion damages in personal injury cases involving multiple parties. Under this principle, the court evaluates each party’s degree of fault and adjusts their compensation accordingly.

If the court finds you partially at fault for the accident, you may still recover damages, albeit reduced by your percentage of fault. For example, imagine you were involved in a car accident where the other driver ran a red light.

Let’s say that at the time of the collision, you were speeding. If the court determines that you were 40% at fault for the accident and the other driver was 60% at fault, they’ll reduce your compensation by 40%. If your damages are $100,000, the court would subtract $40,000, leaving you with $60,000.

Why You Need a Lawyer’s Help Figuring Who Is Liable For the Personal Injury Accident

Comparative negligence can be complex. That makes a personal injury attorney invaluable. An accident injury lawyer will work to protect your rights and help you obtain all the compensation you deserve under the law. One of a personal injury lawyer’s most important roles is to gather evidence to support your case.

Lawyers employ various strategies to gather evidence and build a compelling case for their clients. This process often begins with a thorough investigation into the accident’s circumstances.

Key Steps in the Personal Injury Accident Investigation Process

Scouring the police report: If police arrived at the accident scene, the officer’s report will be critical evidence. The report provides crucial details about the incident, including the location, time, and parties involved. These reports often contain preliminary assessments of fault and witness statements, offering valuable insights into how the personal injury accident happened.

Witness statements: Personal injury attorneys contact people who saw the accident, obtaining firsthand accounts of what transpired. Witness testimony can corroborate critical aspects of the case, such as who had the right of way or who exhibited negligent behavior, strengthening the argument for liability.

Photographs: Pictures of the accident scene are instrumental in documenting physical evidence and capturing the aftermath. After a motorcycle accident, for example, lawyers meticulously review these images to identify skid marks, property damage, road conditions, and other relevant details. This information may provide clues about the cause of the accident.

Consulting Accident Reconstruction Experts Can Benefit Your Personal Injury Accident Case

Once they’ve collected the initial evidence, attorneys often work with expert witnesses, such as accident reconstruction specialists, to comprehensively analyze the available data. These highly trained professionals employ scientific methods and advanced technology to recreate the events leading up to the personal injury accident with precision and accuracy.

Using sophisticated techniques, such as computer simulations and mathematical modeling, accident reconstruction experts analyze factors contributing to the accident. In a car wreck, for example, factors could include vehicle speed, braking distances, and collision angles.

By meticulously examining these variables, experts can piece together the sequence of events and determine the dynamics of the accident. This analytical approach provides valuable insights into how the accident occurred. An accident reconstruction set may also point to who bears responsibility for the resulting injuries and damages.

Speaking With Medical Professionals Could Help Determine Fault

In addition to gathering evidence related to the accident, attorneys work closely with their clients’ healthcare providers to document the extent of their injuries and the treatment they’ve received.

Medical records, diagnostic tests, and expert medical opinions are crucial evidence in demonstrating the severity of their clients’ injuries and their impact on their lives. This can influence a settlement’s value.

Attorneys analyze medical documentation to assess the nature and extent of their clients’ injuries, including fractures, lacerations, traumatic brain injuries, and spinal cord damage. They also seek expert medical opinions to assess their clients’ conditions and prognosis for recovery objectively.

How Medical Evidence Supports a Claim For Compensation

By presenting comprehensive medical evidence, personal injury attorneys can effectively illustrate the physical and emotional toll of the accident on their clients’ lives. In doing so, they can compellingly demonstrating the need for fair compensation.

Throughout the investigation process, personal injury attorneys remain in communication with their clients. They will provide updates on the case’s progress and address any questions or concerns raised by their client. This open communication helps clients feel supported and informed throughout the legal proceedings.

Let a Qualified Personal Injury Attorney From Jones Law Group Tell You More

In many cases, it takes an experienced litigator to determine who is liable for a personal injury accident. A Jones Law Group attorney will fight to show you weren’t to blame for the personal injury accident, and you should receive the money you need to cover medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses. Please don’t hesitate to schedule a free consultation with us by calling (727) 571-1333 or contacting us online.

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I automatically liable if I was involved in a personal injury accident?

No, liability in a personal injury accident is not always straightforward. Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you may still be entitled to recover damages. However, the court may reduce them by your percentage of fault.

Some situations, like truck accidents involving third party liability or a slip-and-fall at someone’s house can have additional complications, so it is best to involve a personal injury lawyer from the start.

How does comparative negligence affect my compensation in a personal injury case?

If the court finds you 20% at fault and the other party 80% at fault, you would lose 20% of your compensation. Comparative negligence ensures the court holds each party accountable for their actions and equitably distributes damages based on their respective levels of fault.

What evidence is crucial in proving liability in a personal injury case?

Attorneys typically gather various types of evidence. This may include police reports, witness statements, photographs of the scene, and medical records. These pieces of evidence help paint a clear picture of what transpired. The evidence may also indicate who is at fault for the accident.

How can a personal injury attorney help me navigate the complexities of comparative negligence?

Personal injury attorneys advocate for the rights of injury victims and work to maximize their compensation under the law. Additionally, they play a pivotal role in gathering evidence to support their clients’ claims and demonstrating why they deserve fair compensation.

Heath Murphy

About the Author

Heath Murphy is a partner at Jones Law Group and focuses on personal injury law. He has been working as a lawyer for 18 years and routinely writes about auto accidents, wrongful death, and personal injury laws.

Read more: Heath’s Bio